Chapter 5: The Invisible Girl in Room Thirteen by Stephen Simpson

 

I felt possessed.

Dark and soft lights flashed in the room, the throbbing pulse of the music, the movement of dancing bodies, his arms around my waist, everything around me culminated in making me feel alive and I had not felt alive in a long time. I had been unseen for even longer.

“Alison,” Oliver said, pulling me back from my thoughts. “I hope that jerk, Evan, didn’t make you feel awkward.”

I looked up at him, and into his clear blue eyes. “I know he was just joking. How gullible do you think I am?”

“He likes to mess with me, is all,” he explained. “Are you looking forward to going camping next weekend?”

“What camping? It’s the first I’m hearing of it.”

“That’s when the fun really starts around here.” His eyes sparkled as a mischievous grin pulled on the corners of his mouth.

“Both schools? Boys & girls?” I could not see how boarding school could ever get to be fun. It was supposed to be a form of punishment, wasn’t it?

He answered with a wink, “Separate tents, though.”

The music changed, and I started to pull away from him, but he pulled me even closer. Good thing we were in the middle of the dance floor with about a hundred bodies surrounding us. We could not be seen too clearly by the chaperones who made sure we all kept respectable distances from each other, just in case the mere touch of our bodies would lead to impregnation.

“I hear you went into room thirteen and survived to tell the story,” he said jokingly.

I shook my head, and at the same time, I felt a sharp pain in the nape of my neck, like a precursor to a headache.

The suppressed feeling of rage I have had since leaving room thirteen tried to overwhelm me, and I pushed away from him. “I need to powder my nose.”

“No worries,” Oliver said as he took my hand and led me through the dancers between us and the door.

“I know the way,” I told his back.

When we entered the well-lit corridor, he slowed down until I was beside him. “I know you know the way. I just needed a breath of air as well. Too many people in the same room make me feel claustrophobic sometimes.”

The designated toilets were just across the hallway, but there was a long queue.

With my hand still in his, he pulled me past the line of girls. Leaning down, with his lips brushing my ear, he whispered, “I know of another one where there’ll be no waiting.”

“How...” I started asking, but then realised this was not his first dance here and I am not the first girl he had walked down this corridor. The simmering ember of rage in the pit of my stomach was ignited by this thought and it glowed red hot. The feeling threatened to burst from me.

Since my mum married again, I had grown good at hiding my feelings. Hide the hurt, the anger, the rejection and the pain. I always had my emotions under control, always, until now. Was it because here I did not have to hide them as well as I did at home?

“So, Lily?” He turned to look at me.

“Yeah?” Then I realised he had called me Lily, and I answered as if I was her. I know now I should never have gone into that room. The rules warned me, deep down I knew I should not mess with supernatural things, but I did it anyway to prove I am worthy, to get the approval of people who still did not see me. I looked at him with a frown and asked unsure, “Lily?”

“You know. The girl from room thirteen,” he explained.

“What about her?”

“Do you think she really killed herself?”

“Probably. There were witnesses,” I said dismissively. The only thing everyone wanted to talk about was the sudden demise of Lily, fifteen years ago. I did not want to be reminded. Since being in room thirteen and meeting Lily, I felt as if we had a connection. We were one.

“I wonder who the mystery guy she was in love with was,” I said.

“Do you think he knew she walked into the lake and drowned herself because of him? Rumours say he married some stuck-up, rich girl. Did you know he dumped her the day she killed herself, the day before Valentine’s Day?”

“I’ve heard all the rumours, but do you know who the guy was?”

“I think it was some guy called, Rob or Robin or Robert, something like that anyway. You can look it up in the School Journals in the library, though. I’m sure they have them all there.”

An irrational impulse pushed me to know who the boy was who broke Lily’s heart. I had to see his face. “I’d like to find out who he was,” I said. “I think it’d be interesting to know.”

“I’ll help you if you wanted me to.” The crest of his cheeks shaded a colour of pink again. He certainly was adorable. The one moment I knew I could really love Oliver and the very next second I felt inexplicable anger. I could not understand where the feeling I had to avoid him at all cost was coming from. I felt an acute awareness that he would have no trouble breaking my heart and he was not to be trusted. No boy was ever to be trusted.

He asked, “Tomorrow? We could start early.”

“How early is your early?” I asked.

“The library opens at ten on a Saturday, too early for you?”

We had reached the bathroom, and I pushed the door open, telling him across my shoulder, “You know it’s kind of embarrassing having you wait here for me. Maybe we could meet back at the drinks table?”

He nodded and I watched him walk away before I let the heavy door swing shut behind me.

The bright fluorescent lights glared in the mirrors to my side and as I pushed lightly on one of the slightly open cubicle doors, I saw a shadow move across the mirror and there was a flash of silver, maybe a reflection off the tap.

At first, I only saw her wide eyes where she was sitting on the toilet seat, then the gaping hole in her stomach which was a mass of blood and ripped flesh. Her insides lay on the ground between her feet. On the cubicle wall, written with a finger in oozing blood no doubt from Shannon’s body, was: 1 + 1 = 3

A scream erupted from the bottom of my soul as I collapsed on the floor.

The bathroom door burst open, the doorknob banging on the wall behind it.

“Alison?” Oliver asked in a panicked voice as he rushed toward me. “What’s going on? Are you okay? I heard screaming.”

He glanced into the stall and the colour drained from his face. His eyes were big, full of the look of horror as he pulled me up from the floor and pushed me out of the room.

Holding me close to him, he dialled the police. “Someone’s dead… Here in the girls’ toilet.” He listened for a while, before he said, “Yes. At the school dance.” He ended the call and after he pushed his phone back into his pocket, his arms tightened around me, pulling my head closer to his chest. “Shh, Alison. It’s okay,” he whispered. “The police are on their way.”

My body shook in his arms.

“What happened?” He asked.

My teeth chattered as I tried to say, “All that blood.”

“Do you know her?”

“I think her name is… was Shannon something. We’re… were in the same English class.”

“Did you see who did it?”

“No. I didn’t see anyone else. Did you see someone in the hallway?” I tried to move my head to look up at him, but he held me steady against his chest.

The sound of footsteps was running toward us, and I tried to pull away from Oliver even harder. I had to get away from here, as fast as possible.

“It’s just the security guard,” he reassured me. “Look.”

I opened my eyes and saw a pot-bellied man in a khaki brown shirt approaching. When he reached us, he was breathing hard as he hitched his trousers up around his stomach. His eyes darted around as he said, “Got a call from the police, they’re on their way. Someone got killed, they said, and I must secure the crime scene.”

Oliver told him, “In there.” Pointing to the door of the bathroom.

He stepped back and stood in the door, folding his arms across his chest so that they were resting on his belly and faced us. There was a serious look on his face.

We stood in silence for the most part of twenty minutes when there was a commotion at the top of the hallway and a whole group of people were streaming toward us.

I recognised the principal, one or two teachers and at least three police officers.

The security guard said, “In here, Constable Fraser.”

Constable Fraser motioned with his hand for the other two police officers to join him and they entered the bathroom cautiously.

When Constable Fraser stepped out of the room again, his face was insipidly pale, and he wiped beads of sweat from his face.

As he stepped toward Oliver and me, the other two police officers ushered the principal and the teachers back up the hall. I tried to hear what they were saying but they were all talking at the same time.

“Who discovered the body?” Constable Fraser asked, looking from me to Oliver.

“I did,” I said as I stepped away from Oliver and he let me go.

Constable Fraser pulled a notebook and a pen from his top shirt pocket. He flipped it open to a blank page and squinted up at me, while his head was still bent down. “Name?”

“Alison Locke.”

He lifted his head and looked at me, taking in my features. “Not a very common surname around here. Are you family of Roger Locke who went to school here about fifteen years ago?”

I looked at him confused. “He’s my dad.”

For a long moment, he just looked at me without saying anything, then wrote something in his notebook before asking, “How is your dad?”

“Did you know him?”

“I did. We went to school together. I just have a few questions, then you can go.”




Copyright © Stephen Simpson. All Rights Reserved. 
All work created and posted on this blog is the intellectual property of Stephen Simpson.

Comments