Chapter 12: The Invisible Girl in Room Thirteen by Stephen Simpson

 

The yellow school bus stopped in a large, level area on the other side of the lake.

When I stepped off the bus, I looked across the flat, calm surface of the lake and saw the school building on the other side, a darker shade of grey than the surrounding clouds. I was mesmerized by the image.

“Alison?”

I turned around to his voice. “Hey, Oliver.”

“Scary, isn’t it?” He asked as he came to stand next to me.

“What’s scary?” I forced a soft laugh.

“The school from all the way over here.”

I looked back at the building in the distance. “Yeah. At least it’s far from here. I’m looking forward to this break, that’s for sure.”

The weak sun shone high above the surrounding trees as the other girls from my year group disembarked the bus. Behind that, the boys leapt with raucous pushing and shoving from a navy and white bus. Not long after, bags were scattered on the ground and the two buses pulled away from the campsite.

Mrs Scott’s voice boomed, sending birds scattering from the treetops. “Girls get your bags and move them to the pod you were allocated to yesterday. If you weren’t paying attention, wait by the picnic tables until I get to you.”

I turned away from Oliver. “Better get going.”

“See you later,” he said as he walked away to find his own bag and to get settled in his allocated pod.

The pods were built close together and the campsite could accommodate thirty-six students, six per pod and then the four staff members each had their own pod. The toilet and shower facilities were immediately adjacent to the pods and were shared. There was a strict schedule with boy/girl time slots stuck to the door of each pod.

Evelyn called me over. “I’ve saved you a bed. Top or bottom?”

I looked at the bunk bed. “Bottom?”

“Perfect!” She clapped her hands together with glee. “I was hoping you’d say that.”

Glancing around the area uncertain, I wondered if we were supposed to unpack our belongings or what.

Evelyn explained, “I forgot it’s your first year. You just live out your bag while we’re here. We usually just push them under the beds to keep them out of the way.”

I unzipped my bag and pulled a jumper from the top, before zipping it closed again and sliding it under the bed with my foot.

After Evelyn pushed her bag under the bed, she suggested, “We’re allowed to keep ourselves entertained until lunch, so Colin, Oliver and I usually go for a walk, are you coming with?”

“Okay,” I agreed. This was my first time here and by the sound of it, Evelyn had been coming here every year, so until I got my bearings, I decided to stay close to her.

As we left the pod, Evelyn explained, “Each year group has their own camp-site, so every year it’s a different area to explore, so it’s quite exciting.”

Colin and Oliver were waiting for us and as soon as we reached them Colin took Evelyn’s hand in his.

Awkwardly I fell in step next to Oliver and was barely aware of the conversation between Colin, Evelyn and him.

My eyes kept glancing to Oliver, but he seemed oblivious of me as he let his fingers drift over the knee-high grass we were walking through.

My mind started drifting as we came to a clump of trees. A faint mistiness seeped between the trees while the sunlight made long streaks from above the treetops to the ground below. Taking deep breaths, I let the crisp air clear out everything that had happened to me since the thirteenth of February when I walked into Lily’s room for the first time. Quickly, I pushed Lily from my mind. The surroundings were too beautiful to let her spoil it for me.

“Are you ignoring me?” he asked.

“It’s so pretty here,” I said without looking at him and noticed Evelyn and Colin were further ahead.

“There’s something we need to talk about.”

I stared into his perfect blue eyes. “I don’t really want to talk about anything that’s happened the last couple of days,” I said. “I just want to forget and pretend.”

Pretend we met at the dance and you liked me, pretend we never saw Shannon disembowelled, pretend we could be together, be normal.

Oliver shook his head. “No. About you and I.”

“Okay?”

“That night at the dance, when we met...”

Birds fluttered from the tree branches around us and I jumped with fright.

Mrs Scott’s voice echoed toward us, “Girls! Boys! Lunch!”

Oliver rolled his eyes. “After lunch, okay?”

I nodded my head.

“I mean it. Right after lunch,” he insisted and the look in his eyes was serious. He really had the most incredible eyes.

All the way back to the campsite I wondered what he wanted to tell me.

The dining hall had a long serving counter on the back wall and two long wooden tables were set on either side of the large room, from the front to the back, with long benches on each side of them. We queued at the serving counter after grabbing a paper plate from a stack and getting plastic eating utensils wrapped in a white serviette.

Lunch was burgers and chips, and after we were served, Oliver and I followed Evelyn and Colin to a table. The room was filled with loud laughter and happy voices.

Mrs Scott came to stand at the end of our table and waited for us all to look up at her, so she had our full attention. “After lunch, everyone seated at this table will go sailing on the lake. Make sure you take something warm.” Without waiting for a response, she turned and walked to the other table.

Oliver nudged me. “Lucky us, we picked the right table. The other table will only get to go tomorrow.”

His smile was endearing, and when he looked at me it felt like he actually saw me. A feeling of overwhelming warmth filled me and all I could do was nod.

After lunch, we boarded the cutter with a single mast and a mainsail, one by one. Oliver got on ahead of me and then offered me his hand. I did not need his help, but I wanted to feel his warm fingers curl around mine.

There were benches along the side of the hull, so we sat down as the skipper stood in front of us and gave us safety instructions, the most important one being: When we hear him yell, ‘Duck,’ we had to crouch down immediately without hesitation otherwise we might get knocked into the cold waters of the lake and never be found again.

I thought he was being overly dramatic about the never being found part, but he seemed serious as his eyes moved from one person to the other until he made eye contact with each one of us.

We pulled away from the dock and then we glided out to the middle of the lake. The breeze got stronger the further we got from the shore.

I leaned over the edge, dangling my fingers in the icy cold water as the boat skimmed along the small waves. It was quiet, except for the shushing sound of the water and every so often the ring of the metal grommet banging against the mast.

A strange feeling came over me as my fingers glided through the water. Its coldness welcomed me. The dark depths felt like home.

A few hairs had come undone from my ponytail and blew in a crazy random way around my face. Brushing some flyaway hair from my face, I asked Oliver who was seated beside me, “What did you want to tell me?”

“Maybe later.”

I shrugged. Earlier it seemed so urgent to say what he wanted to say, but I did not want him to think it bothered me that he did not want to tell me anymore.

The wind changed direction suddenly and we crouched down immediately when the skipper’s voice yelled, “Duck,” as the sail swung around.

“If you could sail anywhere?” He asked me.

I laughed softly. “Don’t know. This is my first time sailing. You?”

“The Bermuda Triangle,” he said seriously.

I looked at him and laughed. “That sounds very ominous.”

He laughed with me. “Would you miss me?”

“Maybe,” I said, looking away.

We sailed around the lake until the sun began to sink toward the grey monolith of the school building.

As soon as the cutter came to a stop next to the dock, everyone jumped down on to it. The supports squeaked loudly under the weight.

Oliver had already jumped off, but something made me wait and I let everyone go ahead of me. For some reason, I liked the way the boat swayed on the water beneath my feet, it made me feel relaxed, it gave me a sense of belonging.

Everyone else walked along the dock back to the campsite, discussing the sailboat, the way the boarding house looked so ominous from this side of the lake, and things I could not make out.

When I did not have a choice anymore, I jumped from the cutter and joined Oliver where he was waiting for me on the dock.

He said, “You know what we should do?”

“What?”

“Hang out?”

“It’s almost dark.”

“So?” he asked like he had expected me to agree immediately.

“So, I need a shower before dinner.” I stared at the ground.

“Okay.” There was a note of disappointment in his voice.

I looked up at him. “Afterwards?”

Although I fell in love with his pixilated smile the first time, I saw him, I knew deep down he was going to break my heart.





Copyright © Stephen Simpson. All Rights Reserved. 
All work created and posted on this blog is the intellectual property of Stephen Simpson.

Comments